author Call Us: +506 2289 5125

Compare Listings

Is Married Filing your US tax return an option when marrying a Costa Rican?

Is Married Filing your US tax return an option when marrying a Costa Rican?Should you select Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately when marrying a Costa Rican? It has become common for US Persons to find love abroad. You’ll often hear of an American moving to Costa Rica and marrying a young Tico or Tica.

A U.S. citizen or permanent resident needs to consider a few tax issues when marrying a non-American.  A U.S. Person with a certain level of income will usually have to file a tax return every year, even if they live abroad. An unmarried person will usually file under the “single” status.

A married person who lives with their spouse cannot use that status any longer. Many people think that if you get married outside of the United States, the IRS doesn’t consider it a real marriage, but that is not correct.

Once you are married, you will need to select either “Married Filing Jointly” or “Married Filing Separately” on your tax return.

Joint Filing

Depending on the couple’s income, joint filing is usually preferable for couples where both partners are U.S. citizens. The IRS has expressed a policy of preferring joint filing over single filing. There are limitsU.S. Tax International Costa Rica to various credits and deductions for married separate filers. One of the major drawbacks to Married Filing Separately is that the amount of tax on your U.S. Social Security payments will usually go way up.

While it is often beneficial for married couples to file jointly when they are both U.S. Citizens, there is another thing to consider when one of the partners is not.

The U.S. cannot tax a non-U.S. person on income that is earned outside of the United States – usually. The government gains the authority to tax such a person when they file jointly with a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. By filing jointly with a U.S. taxpayer, the non-citizen spouse is submitting themselves to the taxing authority of the United States.

A non-citizen spouse

If the non-citizen spouse has income, the tax bill can be higher on a joint return than the U.S. citizen spouse would pay on their own income. Even with the drawbacks of the Married Filing Separately status. A licensed tax preparer, like the professionals at U.S. Tax and Accounting in Rohrmoser, can help you determine which is the best filing status to use for your particular need.

If you have a non-citizen spouse that cannot get a Social Security number, you will need to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, or ITIN, using form W-7. This is a short form, but the IRS will reject it for any small error, and it often takes months to collect the necessary documents to re-apply. A qualified professional can help you apply for the ITIN for your spouse.

U.S. Tax International

Article by Randall Lindner for the Easy Times

Randall Lindner founded U.S. Tax International in San Jose, Costa Rica 18 years ago. Prior to that, Mr. Lindner worked for almost twenty years in Florida as a tax accountant. Mr. Lindner is an Enrolled Agent, licensed directly by the United States Treasury Department to represent clients before the IRS.

US Tax International serving youU.S. Tax International is a company with offices in San José Costa Rica and Palm Beach County Florida and specializes in helping U.S. Citizens living overseas comply with their IRS filing obligations. At U.S. Tax International. They will help you file your annual Form 1040, Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) Form TDF 9022.1, Information Return of U.S. Persons With Respect to Certain Foreign Corporations Form 5471, and Statement of Foreign Financial Assets Form 8938.

U.S. Tax International will help you determine whether you are eligible for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion on Form 2555, the Foreign Tax Credit on Form 1116, or the Earned Income Tax Credit. They will work to make sure you have the lowest tax possible and comply with all your legal obligations.

Feel free to leave your comments on this blog. If you like this article, please feel free to share it on your social media.

Contact the AE MLS Costa Rica


If you like this blog, connect with me on Google+ or subscribe to our newsletter by clicking the banner below.

 Click here to subscribe to The Easy Times

While we’re at it, I DO want to remind our readers that we appreciate any referrals you can send us. Finally, please remember the American-European real estate Group’s agents when you refer a real estate agent. Because we DO appreciate your business.

Facebook Comments

Ivo Henfling

Your West-side of San Jose real estate agent, covering Escazu and Santa Ana, Rohrmoser and Ciudad Colon. If you are looking to buy a home in Costa Rica or invest in a condo anywhere in the Central Valley or looking for any property for sale in Escazu or Santa Ana, you need to contact Costa Rica real estate agent Ivo Henfling. Ivo has been selling Costa Rica real estate on the westside of San Jose, in the locations of Rohrmoser, Sabana, Escazu, Santa Ana and Ciudad Colon for over 20 years and can show you hundreds of happy buyers of real estate in Escazu and those other areas. For Ivo, a deal is not a good one unless both buyer and seller are happy.

Related posts

5 Reasons To Love Costa Rica

Estimated Reading Time: 5 Minutes I have never met anyone who has visited and does not love...

Continue reading
Ivo Henfling
by Ivo Henfling

How easy is it to make friends in Costa Rica?

Estimated Reading Time: 5 Minutes When moving to Costa Rica, making friends is more important...

Continue reading
Ivo Henfling
by Ivo Henfling

5 Tips to Boost your Property Management Business

Estimated Reading Time: 5 Minutes The property management business is a lucrative industry with...

Continue reading
Ivo Henfling
by Ivo Henfling

Join The Discussion

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.